• Om "Fritt Forum"
    Det här forumet är för diskussioner som ligger helt utanför Utsidans intresseinriktning. Huvudsyftet är att moderatorer skall kunna flytta hit trådar som startats i andra forum, men som har bedömts inte passa in där men ändå har en intressant diskussion igång. Men det är också möjligt att starta nya diskussioner här, så länge de inte bryter mot forumets regler.

OBS!
    Diskussioner och inlägg i det här forumet visas inte på Utsidans förstasida eller på Vad är nytt-sidan, så är du intresserad av diskussioner som ligger utanför Utsidans inriktning bör du själv bevaka forumet (mha Bevaka-knappen.

Outdoor education in a folkhógskola ?

Hello,

pardon my writing in English, but I am French and I have lived in Sweden for only 14 months. Therefore I would not know enough Swedish to ask this in Swedish writing :)
And I dont understand enough Swedish to find the answers, if they exist, inside the existing posts.

My questions regard folkhögskola in Sweden which propose outdoor education programmes. I have heard of Sjövik, Backedal, and some others whose names I have forgotten.

First of all : what is "friluftsliv" respectively to "utsbilding" ? In general, what are the different types of outdoor education provided by the folkhögskola ?
Second : is there a phone number, or an email, of someone from whom I can actually get more (practical) infos about this topic ? At any school (Sjóvik, etc,), or a teacher...

Thanks a lot, I hope you won't mind me writing in English.

What profile are you looking for? Some of the educations are specialized in tourism, some in hunting and others in craftsmanship or even plain "hippie".

Are you planning on learning Swedish first or should the education be in english?

Hi xely,
thanks for the links. I am about to check them out.

Hi cremytos,
good question...
the profile i am looking for is not "hippies". It is not exactly "tourism" either.
- I am interested in learning useful skills when you are outdoors, like orientation, how to make a camp, woodworking...
- It would also be interesting (and challenging) to find a curriculum that emphasizes how to take care of others, so the axis of outdoor education would be interesting too.
Either inclination would probably be a huge challenge for me, so I have to think thoroughly about it.

- Since I can have a very acute sense of detail and good capacity of deduction/problem-solving, maybe the skill that uses that the most would be tracking. That would be probably fun, but even more probably very very hard.

In general, a profile that focuses on practical skills, and also that teaches how to take care of others (thus educational training would be a plus).

I am not a "rambo" person at all, my physical resistance/strngth is quite low, but I know that can be worked upon. Using my brain is probably what I am the best at, more than my muscles... and I am better at specializing in a limited number of skills. That's why I was thinking of tracking/education/medecine in the first place, but really I dont know...

If I understand better the actual possiblities thanks to xely's link, I will update this answer.

Senast ändrad:
Based on what you are writing here http://www.munkafolkhogskola.se/allm/friskvard.html should probably fit you nicely. Physical and mental healthcare, human behaviourism mixed with weekly wildlife activities.

I'm hoping that you already have learned about what 'Folkhögskola' means and that most students will be challenged in some way, and that you have taken the decision that you will fit in with that kind of people.

Ermmm... Cremytos, can I ask you for precisions about you mean when you talk about the kind of people, some kind of challenge ? For me these aspects can be very important, so feel free to tell me more about this.
I plan to do a lot more forum reading anyway, just to see what people say about the subject. I am actually asking for precisions on this forum because it is a bit hard for me to read what people write here, and I have yet to find an English-speaking forum where people talk about this.

Thank you for accepting my posting in English. I have tried really hard to learn Swedish when I was there but since I am away from the country I have given up. As we say in French, "far from the eyes, far from the heart".