Conditions (snow) in Abisko - Björkliden - Riksgränsen - Narvik region?

Hi,

Planning to spend a week (week 15) in the region, but wondering about the snow conditions, as it looks (and what I've heard also is) dry up there at the moment. The plan would be to tour around the mountains guided by the Topptur book, but are the conditions worth the effort?

Thanks!

Snowconditions in Norway.

There is a very good site in i Norway about all aspects of weather. It is also in english, so you will find your way. http://www.senorge.no/mapPage.aspx
I checked the snow depth and it seems there are more than 2 meters at the moment. No chance that this will melt before june!

I myself am planning a trip late april in the Kvikkjokk area. We will go from Norway, and I am not worried about lack of snow. In fact there is more than usual snow in the north of Sweden just now.
I have only this site for conditions in Sweden http://www.smhi.se/cmp/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=5505&l=en

Thanks for the info and links. I've seen some photos from Riksgränsen, and compared to last year (when I was there), there does not seem to be much snow, in regards of offpiste. But I've heard that for example in Kebnekaise and Kittelfjäll region there is a lot more, go figure :) We're driving 1300 km to get to Riksgränsen, hence wanting to make sure there's something worth the trip.

www.snow-forecast.com

This site is claimd to be used by the people who work at the ski resort in Riksgränsen.
They say it´s more accurate then SMHI..

You can view both Riksgränsen,Björkliden and Kittelfjäll there :)

//MD

Here's an updated report: The snow depth in the Abisko-Narvik region this year is definitely well below average. But although the snow pack is thin in certain places the ski touring is still generally very good. A 10-20 cm snowfall in the previous days have provided us with excellent conditions. A group that did Spanstind (in Gratangen) yesterday told of lots of powder up high on the mountain. The heli-skiing in Riksgränsen was also really good yesterday. For those to plan skiing in the Narvik ski area a warning should be issued: the top lift (which provides access to the main off-piste area) has not been opened yet, and it is doubtful whether it will open this season.

Good luck with the trip!
Mikael af Ekenstam
www.topptur.nu

Liknande trådar